Rayder News: New Teacher Spotlight - Welcome Mrs. Carrie Dewey to CPS!

Monday, October 26, 2015

New Teacher Spotlight - Welcome Mrs. Carrie Dewey to CPS!



New Teacher Spotlight
Welcome Mrs. Carrie Dewey to CPS!


Please tell us about your family and/or people you enjoy spending time with outside of school.
I love to spend time with my family outside of school. My husband and I have a 14 year old son, Bret, who plays sports year 'round, and a 12-year old daughter, Andie, who participates in dance and vocals throughout the school year. My husband, Dan, is a hay farmer when he's not at his full time job as a Controller at Northwest Michigan Community Action Agency. We also have a chocolate lab, Cookie, and two cats, Oscar and Carson. Previously, I taught high school special education at Central Lake Public Schools for 25 years.
What college(s) did you attend while preparing to become a teacher?
I earned my Undergraduate and Master's degrees at Grand Valley State University. While attending GVSU, I enjoyed being a Resident Assistant for three years. It gave me a lot of confidence and people skills.


How do you spend your summer?
We love the water and take advantage of the many lakes around us throughout the summer. Growing up on Torch Lake, I want my children to realize the beauty of our Northern Michigan lakes as well. I am also an avid gardener, having flowers and, this year, a gourd garden.


Please share your favorite childhood school memory.
My favorite childhood school memory is of the many teachers who impacted me in my journey to become a teacher. Those who showed patience and a personal connection gave me the desire to model my relationships with students in the same way.


What are two of your favorite things you are excited about as you begin to work for Charlevoix Public Schools?
The Charlevoix students have given me such a warm welcome! I am enjoying getting to know the students and staff at Charlevoix. The technology is amazing and I love seeing students with virtually everything at their fingertips. I believe this will put Charlevoix students a step ahead of many others due to their technology exposure.


What do you like to do on your free time?
In my free time, my kids and I volunteer each weekend at With a Little Help From My Friends' Pet Crisis Center in Antrim County where I am also a board member. It is a pet sanctuary where we walk dogs, socialize cats, photograph the pets for their PetFinder profile, write bios, and make videos for our Facebook page.