Rayder News: Mr. Haan - Interim Principal at Charlevoix Elementary School

Friday, December 30, 2016

Mr. Haan - Interim Principal at Charlevoix Elementary School

Charlevoix Public Schools
Interim Principal
Mr. John Haan - Charlevoix Elementary School


Please tell us about yourself and your family.   
My wife, Jill, is the Early Childhood Coordinator at Char-Em ISD. We met at Grand Valley and have been married for 21 years.   My son, Spencer, is a junior at CMHS.   He loves hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, golf, basketball and baseball. My daughter, Sophie, is an eighth grader at CMHS.  She is into dance, skiing, basketball and softball.   


What do you like best about being an administrator in Charlevoix?
As a principal, I enjoy having the time to really dig into an issue and help kids and staff solve problems.  I also like being able to see the big picture in order to make decisions which lead the school in a positive direction.   


What are some of the things you love about Charlevoix Public Schools?
I love that we have incredible people and the resources for great teaching and learning to occur, but we aren’t so big that we lose sight of individual needs.   Parents can feel confident that they are leaving their children with people who care about them and will try their best to help them to succeed.  


What is your wish for the students and staff at CPS?
The CES staff has a motto this year that is: “Learn, Laugh and Make a Difference”.  To me, that is a pretty good wish for school and for life.    

Please share your favorite childhood school memory.  
I remember Mr. Graeber, my sixth grade teacher, used to come around and say good morning to us individually every day.   That was just one of the many things that he did that let us know that he cared.   He was a very demanding teacher, but his students would do anything for him because of the strong relationships that he built.   


What do you like to do on your free time?
Our dog, Cooper, and our cat, Lucky Buddy, bring a lot of happiness into our lives.   Also, I enjoy hunting, fishing and almost any outdoor activity.    I love sports and I have done a lot of coaching of my kids’ youth teams from Little League to basketball.  My favorite teams are the Lions, Tigers, Red Wings, Wolverines and of course the Rayders.