Rayder News: Board Member Spotlight - Mr. Matt Peterson

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Board Member Spotlight - Mr. Matt Peterson

Charlevoix Public Schools
Board Member Spotlight

Mr. Matt Peterson - Board Trustee
IMG_3299.JPG
Please tell us about yourself and your family.   
I have been married to Karen since 1998 and we have two sons (Ben-16) (Sam-12), and two dogs (Grace and Zoe).


What do you like best about being a school board member in Charlevoix?
I think what I like best about being on the board is the positive, caring dialogue that occurs amongst the members related to helping the kids in our schools. It seems that every board members brings something different to the table…..and all of these things help to make our schools a great place.


What are some of the things you love about Charlevoix Public Schools?
Three things: Caring-quality staff, Supportive community, School pride


What is your wish for the students and staff at CPS?
Although this sounds like a cliche…. what I wish for our staff is that they “do what’s best for kids” and I truly feel like this happens. What I wish for our students is that they leave Charlevoix schools and feel that they have had good academic and co-curricular experiences that provide a good foundation for their futures. Lastly, that they look back on their K-12 experiences with pride.


Please share your favorite childhood school memory.
My greatest childhood memories are just the simple pleasures of growing up in a small town: being able to walk/ride bikes to friends houses and around town, enjoying all that our little town has to offer (skiing, beaches, sports etc..). Northern Michigan is truly a great place to grow up!


What do you like to do on your free time?
1.) Spending time w/ my family
2.)  Attending my children’s sporting events (x-country, track, skiing)
3.)  Most outside activities