Welcome Mrs. Khristy Wisson-Powell to CPS!
Please tell us about your family and/or people you enjoy spending time with outside of school.
My husband Jared and I live in Petoskey with our two rambunctious dogs and one sluggish cat. I grew up in Port Huron, where my whole family still lives and we visit them there from time to time. Jared and I spend time in Traverse City frequently where his family and many close friends live. We get out to Colorado once a year to visit friends there as well.
What college(s) did you attend while preparing to become a teacher?
After dabbling in a variety of courses at the community college in Port Huron, I made my way out west and worked to received my Bachelor's degree in History and a secondary teaching certification from the University of Colorado, Boulder. I continued my education at the University of Colorado, Denver, and 2 years later got my Master's in Reading and Writing Curriculum and Instruction with a K-12 Reading Specialist endorsement. After moving to Michigan, I completed a Master's of Science in K-12 Special Education through Western Governors University. 
How are you spending your summer?
Oh, how I love summer! My husband and I started our summer on our annual camping trip with a few very good friends. After that, we went out to Colorado to visit friends and family, climb a mountain and run a half marathon. By the time we returned to northern Michigan, things were starting to warm up and we've been enjoying the beaches, trails, waters, a few concerts, and that warm summer energy. We were in Traverse City and saw a few films at the festival, are planning a short trip to Port Huron, and plan to finish summer out with as much outdoor time as we can pack in. We painted our house too; you have to put in a little elbow grease into summer.
Please share your favorite childhood school memory.
I remember the field trips. One of my favorites was an 3-day trip to Mackinac Island when I was in 5th grade. We saw the sights, rode tandem bicycles, and ate fudge. It was a big deal for us coming all the way from downstate. In 4th grade went to a ball game at Tiger Stadium. I took my baseball glove: I didn't catch anything but remember having a great time. Our 3rd grade trip was an exciting adventure to Boblo Island. I remember in middle school we took a field trip to a nature preserve in Canada. I think we were supposed to be bird watching, but I remember enjoying just being outside and wandering through the preserve. The experiences I had in school were memorable, but the extensions to the school day were what really stuck with me.
What are two of your favorite things you are excited about as you begin to work for Charlevoix Public Schools?
I worked at Charlevoix High School for one year and am looking forward to returning to the district. The year hasn't even begun but I've feel welcomed and supported already. I'm excited to get to know all of the students and get involved in the school community. In the past, I've worked hard to extend student learning outside of the the school grounds and school day and I really look forward to the opportunities in Charlevoix to be involved in such programs.
What do you like to do on your free time?
I love to be active. Running is one of my passions and I participate in organized races from time to time. I keep the cross-training going with a little bit of cycling as well. This spring, I got a kayak and my husband and I have gone on several paddling adventures this summer. We were lucky enough to buy a home with a beautiful, established garden and I enjoy working in the yard. We love to go tromp around in the woods with our pups on the North Country Trail and take walks through the lovely neighborhoods of Petoskey where we live. I practice yoga and am excited to begin yoga teacher training this fall. Not to bring up winter, but in the winter I snowboard, cross-country ski, and run outside when it's not too bitter cold. If I can't get outside, I love to spend my time reading. My husband and I also love to travel abroad. Our most recent adventure took us to Nicaragua this past winter and we are planning a South American trip next summer!
<< Home